My own personal Eeyore

When I was little I had a stuffed Eeyore. I loved the toy and I felt a real connection to the character. You see, I was a bit of a complainer, even at an early age. I am not sure if I picked this up along the way or if I was born with a melancholy disposition. As I have come to terms with this I think the former is probably the truest. Misery loves company and Eeyore seems to attract plenty of it even if that crowd often thinks we are obnoxious. One day I realized that this was miserable to be around. I began to dive into the reasons I had to complain and go after ways to either change my attitude or my life. We all have due cause to complain about something after all. I realized I could change more than I thought.

Add in social media and platforms for anyone to express themselves through blogs, podcast, YouTube and we have an overexposure of the uglies. It begins with feeling camaraderie with others who are complaining, but then quickly turns in to one big downer. I am not proposing that people should never have an opportunity to share their hurts to find support. However, I am challenging people to turn around and see how others are impacted by your outlook. Who wants to be around someone who constantly is complaining? And yes I have those days that I still sigh a lot (A former co-worker never believed me when I said I was just needing more oxygen those days). But I find I have much better connection with people when I can optimistically take on my day.

This post was first inspired by Gini Dietrich’s post on SpinSucks and by her link to Peter Bergmans post in The Harvard Business Review, both excellent read on the subject.

6 Responses to “My own personal Eeyore”

1. Giulietta Nardone May 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

Hi John,

Cute photo!

I’m guessing you picked up complaining. It’s rife in societies where folks have been trained not to say what’s bothering them. Otherwise, you’d walk up to the person and say something or get involved and change something.

Where in our training did we learn to be direct?

It took me a long time to break out of my futile, complaining ways. And I still complain on occasion because it’s so ingrained in my psyche.

Giulietta

p.s.
    As a child, I had a stuffed zebra that I adored! Always felt very zebra-like.

• John Bergquist May 17, 2011 at 4:07 am #

@f7f3de7605a94d8336cfabeec85c9d81:disqus Great to see you here again.  Yes I did exactly that.  For me it was conquering the fear of confrontation.  There were many other things that helped along the way but I think you nailed it.

2. Lana Vaughan May 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

“If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together.. there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we’re apart.. i’ll always be with you.” kep21 Winnie the Pooh quoteHang out with those who are full of good stuff….“If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together.. there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we’re apart.. i’ll always be with you.” kep21 Winnie the Pooh quoteHang out with those who are full of good stuff….

• John Bergquist May 17, 2011 at 4:08 am #

Wonderfully said @35821a42fb02da7edb7f6e4293564f42:disqus  ! !

3. Kelley Wong May 18, 2011 at 7:34 pm #

Nobody likes a Debbie Downer.  I would much rather read about people who are happy with their lives and have positive views on negative aspects because it’s much easier to complain about things than it is to actively make an effort to make things better.   Misery does love company, but I think people are just looking for others who have it worse so they can feel better about themselves (not very healthy company to surround yourself with). Sure, there are times when complaints are okay, but complaints should always go hand-in-hand with solutions.

• John Bergquist May 19, 2011 at 1:03 am #

@63acc89ac38aa015d1b0eb834a1d4331:disqus My friends and I have a term we use if someone starts  complaining to much.  Simply put, where is the whambulance. ;)